Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Verb Tenses by Dorothy RichmondThis book is fantastic! Im working on learning Spanish, and this filled a niche I needed -- a walk through a cornucopia of verb tenses, with write-in exercises to practice as you go. Along the way youll expand your verb vocabulary (and learn some nouns and adjectives, too). The book includes helpful, accessible discussions about usage (e.g., preterite vs. imperfect past tenses), not just a boring presentation of conjugation tables.
- Comprehensive coverage of verb tenses. Super useful! My speaking and reading skills improved even after only a few days study.
- Interesting, challenging practice sentences.
- Spanish-English and English-Spanish dictionaries (albeit short) in the back.
- Answers to exercises included.
- Some of the correct answers are not written with proper Spanish, especially early in the book. For example, one exercise has you translate I believe that... but hasnt taught you the subjunctive tense yet, so the answer key uses the indicative tense for the following verb. Its probably still readable Spanish, but its very simplified and likely makes you sound like a little kid. Happily, this tends to go away as you get deeper in the book and (presumably) can employ more sophisticated grammar. However, Id have preferred if the book simply steered clear of this sort of thing -- dont ask the student to translate something they arent capable of yet.
- That connects to a minor complaint, which is that the book clearly assumes that youll go through it in linear order, as later sections build on the tenses and vocabulary given earlier. While this is kind of reasonable (I guess), it tripped me up because I tired of the endless section on present tense verbs and jumped ahead to learn some past tense constructions. Making these more standalone would make the book a bit more usable. Theres no logical reason that you need to have learned all possible present tense verbs, and every irregular exception, before starting on the past tense.
Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Verb Tenses
Building on the success of her prior book, Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Verb Tenses , author Dorothy Devney Richmond helps you attain a strong working vocabulary, no matter if you are an absolute beginner or an intermediate student of the language. She combines her proven instruction techniques and clear explanations with a plethora of engaging exercises, so you are motivated and hardly notice that you are absorbing so much Spanish. Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Vocabulary also includes basic grammar and structures of the language to complement your newly acquired words. Dorothy Devney Richmond is an experienced teacher of Spanish and successful author of Spanish language-learning books. Convert currency. Add to Basket. Condition: New.
Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. Want to Read saving…. Want to Read Currently Reading Read. Other editions. Enlarge cover.
missed you last night quotes
Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Vocabulary (Practice Makes Perfect Series)
I think both can be true but really we will get much further and not get disillusioned if we aim for progress rather than perfection. That way we can keep progressing until we get to perfection! Did you know that when a Shuttle rocket blasts off into outer space it uses millions of gallons of fuel and nearly all of it is expended on take off? However my experience, having taught hundreds and hundreds of language learners, is that most of them do not take this on board and then they wonder why their language is not progressing as fast as they hoped. Clearly, there is much more to language learning than practice, but it is a vital part.
Take your language skills to the next level and learn to communicate like a native Spanish speaker! Practice Makes Perfect: Intermediate Spanish Grammar, Second Edition helps you take your grammar skills to a higher level and gives you the confidence to speak and write in your new language. This book leads you through Spanish grammar using concise, easy-to-understand language, keeping you focused on achieving your goal of total fluency. Building on the skills you have already learned, the book reinforces your understanding and usage of grammar topics such tenses and moods. You'll learn how to communicate in Spanish using idiomatic expressions with the appropriate structures-verbs, prepositions, nouns, pronouns, and adjectives-in a variety of contexts. Focusing on the practical aspects of communicating in Spanish, each grammar point is clearly explained with the help of realistic examples. Comparisons with English grammar make understanding the new information easier.
Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. Want to Read saving…. Want to Read Currently Reading Read. Other editions. Enlarge cover. Error rating book.